DNA Help Guide
Tips for entering DNA samples
1. If you do not have an account with UC Davis, please set up one first.
2. Make sure you Affiliate your sample with AKKPS. it will say American KuneKune Pig Society (KPS)
Directions on how to: Affiliation for UC Davis.pdf
3. Make sure you have the litter notification email printed and in front of you
4. Make sure you have the parents registrations in front of you.
5. Make sure you label the hairs with the AKKPS number and Registered Name given on the litter notification
6. Make sure you do the Parent Verification and NOT Genetic Markers Permanent File
Not entering "AKKPS" in front of the registration number. This is very important. Should be AKKPS 12345
Adding "Call names" to a name instead of the names as assigned on the litter notification email.
To Pull Hairs:
Recommendations on pull hair samples: You will need to gather hair samples for each of the piglets. Keep these in a separate envelope for each piglet. Between 20-30 hairs is generally recommend. Pull these from the piglets with clean hands. Pulling hair from the tail, back, or hoof area generally seems to be the easiest. The hairs must still have the bulbs attached to them. Write on the front of the envelope the Piglets Name and Registration # (the same that you put on the form you just filled out). Seal the Envelope. Attach all of the envelopes for each piglet you are testing with the attachment you printed out after filling out the DNA Testing Form online with UC Davis and mail to UC Davis.
How affiliate with AKKPS or add afifiliation with AKKPS to existing samples.